Congratulations if you’ve decided to get married and are now looking for your dream wedding ceremony venue. There are beautiful venues everywhere but here, in Cumbria and the Lake District which is home to England’s highest mountain, deepest lake, smallest church and an abundance of wedding venues to suit every taste and budget.
So, why Cumbria and the Lake District. If you love the outdoors, beautiful scenery, enjoy walking or cycling or just breathing in the fresh air, Cumbria and the Lake District have all these in abundance. Here are ten reasons why Cumbria and the Lake District will be a great place for your wedding ceremony.
- The Scenery – it really is a ‘sight for sore eyes’ – it is the largest National Park in the UK and a nature lovers paradise with a backdrop of fells, lakes and plenty of hills.
Image from Canva
- World Heritage Status – The Lake District is a UNESCO World Heritage Sight – praised for its natural beaut, famed for its natural beauty, farming and inspiration to the world’s greatest artists and writers like Wordsworth who got his inspiration for his famous ‘Daffodils’ poem here.
- The Venues – Throughout its history, the Lake District has always been a location for holiday homes for high society and royal courts so we have lots of beautiful country manors and grand estates which host weddings here in the Lake District.
- The Photos – You can have an incredible backdrop to your Lake District wedding photos. The scenery in the Lake District is unlike any other part of the country with rolling hills and numerous world renowned lakes such as Windermere, Derwentwater, Bassenthwaite and Wastwater.
- The Honeymoon – In the Cumbrian Lake District, you are in the ideal location for your honeymoon allowing you to take in the sights, hike in the mountains, breathe the fresh air or you could sail on the lake.
- The Food – For your wedding here in the Lake District and Cumbria for your wedding breakfast … and any other meals you have here – you are pretty much guaranteed great food due to the freshly grown and sourced local vegetables, locally raised meat and fish and the availability of a number of Michelin starred restaurants.
- The activities – from gentle walks around the lakeside to adrenaline fuelled adventures such as the Via Ferrata or even a helicopter ride over the sea, or, for a more leisurely time – relaxing in the hotels spa overlooking our fabulous scenery.
- The Romance – The Lake District was the hoe of a number of famous poets such as William Wordworth and the Lakes poets sometimes known as the romantic poets. Wordsworth House in Cockermouth was Wordsworth’s childhood home – you could even hold your Lake District wedding here. In spring the area is alive with ‘hosts of golden daffodils’ that shine bright dance in the sunshine especially around Easter time.
- The Versatility – Cumbria and The Lake District is open all-year round so a Lake District Winter Wedding can take place in a cosy winter wonderland, or a vibrant landscape bathed in winter sunshine. Dream weddings can take place in Cumbria and the Lake District all year round.
- Pet-Friendly – The whole of the Lake District is very pet-friendly even on wet days! Oh, and for those of you who mention the rain – as the outdoor shops say… “There’s no such thing as bad weather, only poor clothing.” So come prepared, and if you’re planning an outdoor wedding, arrange a back-up plan with your venue.
So, there you have it, 10 good reasons to have your wedding ceremony or any other milestone event in the Cumbrian Lake District. If you are looking for a celebrant for your wedding ceremony or celebration of life contact me and we can create your dream ceremony.
Val Marshall: Celebrant Photo RebeccaElizaebthSmith